Non-enveloped, head-tail structure. The capsid is icosahedral, about 60nm in diameter. The non-contractile tail is about 260 nm in length and 8 nm in width.
Linear, dsDNA genome of about 35 kb, containing about 44-48 genes. The genome has cohesive ends (cos sites).
- Adsorption: The phage attaches to target cell adhesion receptors probably through the ORF18 gene product .
- Ejection of the viral DNA into host cell cytoplasm by long flexible tail ejection system.
- Transcription and translation of early genes.
- Replication of genomic DNA.
- Transcription and translation of late genes
- Assembly of an empty procapsid and packaging of the genome.
- Viral tail fiber assembly and viral tail assembly.
- Mature virions are released from the cell by lysis.