Non-enveloped, head-tail structure. Head is about 70 nm in diameter, with a T=7 icosahedral symmetry . The tail is short (about 17 nm), non-contractile, has 6 prominent tail spikes.
Linear, dsDNA genome of about 40 kb encoding for 51 genes.
- Adsorption: the phage attaches to the target cell through its tail fibers.
- Ejection of the viral DNA into host cell cytoplasm.
- Transcription and translation of early genes.
- Replication of genomic DNA. Transcription and translation of late genes.
- Assembly of an empty procapsid and packaging of the genome.
- Viral tail fibers assembly and viral tail assembly.
- Mature virions are released from the cell by lysis.