Nonenveloped, head-tail structure. The head is about 60 nm in diameter. The long tail is non-contractile and has 6 fibers although some siphoviruses have only 3 or 4. The capsid is icosahedral with a T=7 symmetry.
Linear, dsDNA genome of about 50 kb, containing about 70 genes.
- Adsorption: The phage attaches to target cell adhesion receptors through its tail fibers.
- Ejection of the viral DNA into host cell cytoplasm by long flexible tail ejection system.
- Transcription and translation of early genes.
- Replication of genomic DNA.
- Transcription and translation of late genes
- Assembly of an empty procapsid and packaging of the genome.
- Viral tail fiber assembly and viral tail assembly.
- Mature virions are released from the cell by lysis.