Enveloped, rod-shaped. The capsid is about 24-38 nm in diameter and 410-1950 nm in length.
Linear dsDNA genome of 15.9 to 56 kb. Extremities of the DNA are modified in an unknown manner.
The genome is organized in operons.
- Adsorption: the phage attaches to target cell
- Injection: viral DNA is injected in host cell cytoplasm
- Transcription and translation of early genes
- Replication of genomic DNA
- Transcription and translation of late genes
- Genomic DNA is packaged in new virions
- Mature virions are released from the cell