Non-enveloped, head-tail structure. Head is about 50 nm in diameter. The tail of about 260 nm in length is contractile, with a small base plate.
linear, circularly permuted dsDNA genome of 38-43 kb with a G+C content of 59%, encoding for about 50 proteins.
Genes are transcribed by operons.
- Adsorption: the phage attaches to the target cell through its tail fibers.
- Ejection of the viral DNA into host cell cytoplasm by contraction of the tail sheath.
- Transcription and translation of early genes.
- Replication of viral DNA. Transcription and translation of late genes.
- Assembly of an empty procapsid and packaging of the genome.
- Viral tail fibers assembly and viral tail assembly.
- Mature virions are released from the cell by lysis.