Non-enveloped, head-tail structure. Head is about 50 nm in diameter. The flexible tail is 110 nm in length, contractile.
Linear dsDNA genome of about 51-60 kb, encoding for about 80 proteins. The genome is circularly permuted.
Genes are transcribed by operons.
- Adsorption: the phage attaches to the target cell through its tail fibers.
- Ejection of the viral DNA into host cell cytoplasm by contraction of the tail sheath.
- Transcription and translation of early genes.
- Synthesis of linear concatemers copies of viral DNA. Transcription and translation of late genes.
- Assembly of an empty procapsid and packaging of the genome.
- Viral tail fibers assembly and viral tail assembly.
- Mature virions are released from the cell by lysis.