Enveloped, rod-shaped virion about 900 nm long and 24 nm in diameter. Genomic DNA is packaged into a helical core.
Linear dsDNA genome of about 20 kb, encoding for 40 proteins. Extremities of the DNA are modified in an unknown manner.
The genome is organized in operons.
- Adsorption: the phage attaches to target cell
- Injection: viral DNA is injected in host cell cytoplasm
- Transcription and translation of early genes
- Replication of genomic DNA
- Transcription and translation of late genes
- Genomic DNA is packaged in new virions
- Mature virions are released from the cell