Non-enveloped, bacilliform, about 150 nm in length and 50 nm in width, resembling those of higreviruses.
Segmented, bipartite, linear, ssRNA(+) genome. The two segments are about 8.7 and 5 kb in size. The genomic RNA is capped, and polyadenylated.
Genomic RNAs serve as messenger RNAs. RNA1 contains 2 ORFs, the first one encoding the replicase. RNA2 contains 4 ORFs, and may encode a movement proteins.
- Virus penetrates into the host cell.
- Uncoating, and release of the viral genomic RNA into the cytoplasm.
- The viral RNA is translated to produce the two proteins necessary for RNA synthesis (replication and transcription).
- Replication takes place in cytoplasmic viral factories. A dsRNA genome is synthesized from the genomic ssRNA(+).
- The dsRNA genome is transcribed/replicated thereby providing viral mRNAs/new ssRNA(+) genomes.
- Expression of the subgenomic RNAs (sgRNAs).
- Each segment is encapsidated.
- Viral movement proteins probably mediate virion cell-to-cell transfer.