Non-enveloped, head-tail structure. Head is about 73 nm in diameter. The tail is contractile (17×113 nm), has possibly 8 long straight terminal fibers and a baseplate. The tail exhibits no transverse striations but presents a criss-cross pattern.
Linear, dsDNA genome of about 86 kb, encoding for 131 proteins.
Genes are transcribed by operons.
- Adsorption: the phage attaches to the target cell adhesion receptor through its tail fibers.
- Ejection of the viral DNA into host cell cytoplasm by contraction of the tail sheath.
- Transcription and translation of early genes.
- Replication of viral DNA. Transcription and translation of late genes.
- Assembly of an empty procapsid and packaging of the genome.
- Viral tail fibers assembly and viral tail assembly.
- Mature virions are released from the cell by lysis.