Nonenveloped, head-tail structure. The capsid has a T=16 symmetry . The tails is contractile.
Linear, dsDNA genome of about 145 kb, encoding for approximately 200 proteins.
Genes are transcribed by operons.
- Adsorption: the phage attaches to target cell trhough its tail fibers.
- Viral lysozyme degrades cell wall locally
- Injection: viral DNA is injected in host cell periplasm by contraction of the tail
- Transcription and traduction of early genes
- Replication of genomic DNA
- Transcription and traduction of late genes
- Assembly of new virions in host cell cytoplasm
- Mature virions are released from the cell by lysis