Nonenveloped, head-tail structure. The head is about 60 nm in diameter. The tail is non-contractile, very flexible with 4 short terminal fibers.
Linear, dsDNA genome of about 50 kb, containing about 80 genes.
- Adsorption: the phage attaches to target cell trhough its tail fibers.
- Viral lysozyme degrades cell wall locally
- Injection: viral DNA is injected in host cell periplasm
- DNA genome is circularized or integrated into host chromosome
- Transcription and traduction of early genes
- Replication of genomic DNA
- Transcription and traduction of late genes
- Assembly of new virions in host cell cytoplasm
- Mature virions are released from the cell by lysis