Non-enveloped, 25-30 nm in diameter, T=pseudo3 icosahedral capsid.
Monopartite linear ssRNA(+) genome of about 9 kb. The 5’ terminus has a genome-linked protein (VPg).
The virion RNA is infectious and serves as both the genome and viral messenger RNA. The genome single (or major) ORF is translated into a polyprotein which is subsequently processed by virus-encoded proteases into functional products.
- Virus penetrates into the cell.
- Uncoating, and release of the viral genomic RNA into the cytoplasm.
- Synthesis and proteolytic cleavage of the viral polyprotein.
- Replication occurs in viral factories made of membrane vesicles derived from the ER. A dsRNA genome is synthesized from the genomic ssRNA(+).
- The dsRNA genome is transcribed/replicated thereby providing viral mRNAs/new ssRNA(+) genomes.
- Assembly of new virus particles.