The genome is segmented and consists of four segments of linear negative-sense and single-stranded RNA. The complete genome is around 12.2 kb.
- Virus attaches to host receptors.
- Fusion of virus membrane with the cell membrane; ribonucleocapsid segments are released in the cell.
- Transcription, viral mRNAs are capped in the cytoplasm.
- Replication presumably starts when enough nucleoprotein is present to encapsidate neo-synthetized antigenomes and genomes.
- The ribonucleocapsids buds from a cellular membrane, releasing the virion.