No true virion, no structural proteins. Genomes are associated with their RdRp in the cytoplasm.
Monopartite, linear, ssRNA(+) genome of of 2.5-2.9 kb.
The virion RNA is infectious and serves as both the genome and viral messenger RNA. The genome has one ORF encoding an RNA-dependent RNA polymerase.
- Virus genome is transmitted horizontally through mating or vertically from mother to daughter cells.
- Translation of genomic RNA produces viral RdRp.
- A dsRNA genome is synthesized from the genomic ssRNA(+).
- The dsRNA genome is transcribed/replicated thereby providing viral mRNAs/new ssRNA(+) genomes.
- Mature genomes can be transmitted to new cell by cytoplasmic exchange, sporogenesis or hyphal anastomosis.