Capsidless virus: No virus particle could be identified, which means that this virus cannot be assigned to the Baltimore classification in the strict sense.
No true virion, no structural proteins. Genomes are associated with their RdRp in the cytoplasm.
Monopartite, linear, ssRNA(+) genome of of 2.5-2.9 kb.
The virion RNA is infectious and serves as both the genome and viral messenger RNA. The genome has one ORF encoding an RNA-dependent RNA polymerase.
- Virus genome is transmitted horizontally through mating or vertically from mother to daughter cells.
- Translation of genomic RNA produces viral RdRp.
- A dsRNA genome is synthesized from the genomic ssRNA(+).
- The dsRNA genome is transcribed/replicated thereby providing viral mRNAs/new ssRNA(+) genomes.
- Mature genomes can be transmitted to new cell by cytoplasmic exchange, sporogenesis or hyphal anastomosis.