Icosahedral T=31d capsid, 74 nm in diameter, composed of 1200 P1 (spike) and 60 P2 (capsid) proteins. The 12 five-fold vertices have turret-like appendages expanding 13nm above the capsid shell. The capsid encloses an internal lipid membrane.
Linear dsDNA genome of 17 kb.
The genome encodes 36 ORFs.
- Adsorption: the virus attaches to target cell
- Injection: viral DNA is injected in host cell cytoplasm
- Transcription and translation of early genes
- Replication of genomic DNA
- Transcription and translation of late genes
- Genomic DNA is packaged in new virions
- Mature virions are released from the cell by budding through pyramid-like protrusions.