Non-enveloped, flexuous, filamentous, of 720-850 nm long and 12-15 nm in diameter. Symmetry helical. Presence of characteristic inclusion bodies within infected plant cells.
Monopartite, linear, ssRNA(+) genome of 10 kb in size. 3' terminus has a poly (A) tract. 5' terminus has a genome-linked protein (VPg).
Virion RNA is infectious and serves as both the genome and viral messenger RNA. The genomic RNA is translated into polyproteins by VPG-EIF4 Viral initiation of translation. The polyproteins are then processed into functional products by the action of three viral-encoded proteinases. P3N-PIPO is expressed by polymerase slippage mechanism from the P3 ORF and probably acts as a movement protein .
- Virus penetrates into the host cell.
- Uncoating, and release of the viral genomic RNA into the cytoplasm.
- The viral RNA is translated to produce a polyprotein which is processed by viral proteases into the RdRp protein and structural proteins.
- Replication takes place in cytoplasmic viral factories. A dsRNA genome is synthesized from the genomic ssRNA(+).
- The dsRNA genome is transcribed/replicated thereby providing viral mRNAs/new ssRNA(+) genomes.
- Virus assembly in the cytoplasm.
- Viral movement protein P3N-PIPO probably mediates virion cell-to-cell transfer.