Non-enveloped, head-tail structure. The head is about 60 nm in diameter. The tail is flexible, about 140 nm in length and 8 nm in width, with short brush-like terminal fibers.
- Adsorption: The phage attaches to target cell adhesion receptors through its tail fibers.
- Ejection of the viral DNA into host cell cytoplasm by long flexible tail ejection system.
- Genome circularization
- Protelomerase cuts at another site, giving rise to a linear plasmid
- Transcription and translation of early genes.
- Replication of genomic DNA by dsDNA bidirectional replication.
- Transcription and translation of late genes
- Assembly of an empty procapsid and packaging of the genome.
- Viral tail fiber assembly and viral tail assembly.
- Mature virions are released from the cell by lysis.