Non-enveloped, head-tail structure. The icosahedral capsid is about 70 nm in diameter, with a T=9 icosahedral symmetry . The virion contains about 4 copies of a viral RNA polymerase (vRNAP) .
Linear, dsDNA genome of about 70 kb encoding 72 genes.
- Adsorption: the phage attaches to the target cell through its tail fibers.
- Ejection of the viral DNA and the viral RNA polymerase (vRNAP) into host cell cytoplasm .
- Transcription by the vRNAP of the phage early genes.
- Replication of genomic DNA. Transcription (by the host RNAP) and translation of late genes.
- Assembly of an empty procapsid and packaging of the genome.
- Viral tail fibers assembly and viral tail assembly.
- Mature virions are released from the cell by lysis.