Non-enveloped, head-tail structure. The head diameter varies between 75 and 95 nm. The tail is short, contractile, about 80 nm in length with a cup-shaped baseplate.
Linear, dsDNA genome of about 156 kb, containing about 225 genes.
Genes are transcribed by operons.
- Adsorption: the phage attaches to the target cell through its tail fibers.
- Ejection of the viral DNA into host cell cytoplasm by contraction of the tail sheath.
- Transcription and translation of early genes.
- Replication of viral DNA. Transcription and translation of late genes.
- Assembly of an empty procapsid and packaging of the genome.
- Viral tail fibers assembly and viral tail assembly.
- Mature virions are released from the cell by lysis.