Enveloped, spherical. Diameter from 80 to 120nm.
Segmented Negative-stranded RNA linear genome, for a total of 12.5 kb. Encodes for five proteins.
The viral RNA dependent RNA polymerase (L) binds to a promoter on each encapsidated segment, and transcribes the mRNA. These are capped by L protein during synthesis using cap snatching .
- Virus attaches to host receptors though Gn-Gc glycoprotein dimer, and is endocytosed into vesicles in the host cell.
- Fusion of virus membrane with the vesicle membrane; ribonucleocapsid segments are released in the cytoplasm.
- Transcription, viral mRNAs are capped in the cytoplasm.
- Replication presumably starts when enough nucleoprotein is present to encapsidate neo-synthetized antigenomes and genomes.
- The ribonucleocapsids buds, presumably releasing the virion by exocytosis.