Rod-shaped, enveloped virion up to 400x100nm
Circular, dsDNA genome of 96-231 kb.
Encode for 98 to 140 open reading frames
- Thymidylate synthase
- Protease (Peptidase S1)
- sulfhydryl oxidase
- Virus attaches to host receptors, and is internalized by pinocytosis.
- Fusion of virus membrane with the vesicle membrane occurs; DNA genome is released into the nucleus.
- Transcription of viral genes, replication of the DNA genome in the nucleus.
- Cell nucleus enlarges and ruptures.
- Assembly of new virions in the cytoplasm.
- Virions bud from the cell membrane.