Enveloped, rod-shaped virion about 1100 nm long and 24 nm in diameter. Genomic DNA is packaged into a core. The terminus display a complex collar structure (source: H?ring et al. Pubmed)
Linear dsDNA genome of about 32 kb, encoding for 51 proteins. Extremities of the DNA are modified in an unknown manner.
The genome is organized in operons.
- Adsorption: the phage attaches to target cell
- Injection: viral DNA is injected in host cell cytoplasm
- Transcription and translation of early genes
- Replication of genomic DNA
- Transcription and translation of late genes
- Genomic DNA is packaged in new virions
- Mature virions are released from the cell