Non-enveloped, head-tail structure. The capsid is about 75 nm in diameter. The short tail is non-contractile with about 75 nm long fibers.
Linear, dsDNA genome of about 65 kb encoding for 70 genes.
- Adsorption: the phage attaches to the target cell through its tail fibers.
- Ejection of the viral DNA into host cell cytoplasm.
- Transcription and translation of early genes.
- Replication of genomic DNA. Transcription and translation of late genes.
- Assembly of an empty procapsid and packaging of the genome.
- Viral tail fibers assembly and viral tail assembly.
- Mature virions are released from the cell by lysis.