Non-enveloped, head-tail structure. The prolate head is about 150nm in length and 60 nm in width. The non-contractile tail is about 250 nm in length with a baseplate.
Linear dsDNA genome of 47-57 kb, containing about 84 genes.
- Adsorption: The phage attaches to target cell adhesion receptors through its tail fibers.
- Ejection of the viral DNA into host cell cytoplasm by long flexible tail ejection system.
- Transcription and translation of early genes.
- Replication of genomic DNA.
- Transcription and translation of late genes
- Assembly of an empty procapsid and packaging of the genome.
- Viral tail fiber assembly and viral tail assembly.
- Mature virions are released from the cell by lysis.