Enveloped, pleomorphic in shape, assuming shapes ranging from thin-cigar-like to pear-like, with 3 or 4 slightly curved fibers attached to one pole. The virion is about 60 nm in diameter and 100-250 nm in length.
Circular, supercoiled dsDNA genome of 15 to 24 kb, encodes 33 to 38 genes.
Genomic DNA is specifically integrated into a tRNA gene of the host chromosome.
- Attachment to target cell adhesion receptors
- Penetration into host cytoplasm
- Viral genome is integrated into a tRNA gene of host chromosome
- Transcription and translation of early genes
- Replication of genomic DNA
- Transcription and translation of late genes
- Genomic DNA is packaged in new virions
- Mature virions are released from the cell by budding