Lemon-shaped. Presumably non enveloped. The virion has the property to develop two tails after budding if incubated at 85 ºC, the temperature close to that of it’s natural habitat.
Circular dsDNA genome of 62 kb, encoding for 72 ORFs.
Genome is probably transcribed by host RNA polymerase.
- Attachement of the viral proteins to host receptors mediates endocytosis of the virus into the host cell.
- Genomic DNA penetrates into the cytoplasm.
- Viral genome is integrated into host chromosome
- Transcription of viral genes, possibly by a host RNA polymerase.
- Genome replication.
- Assembly and release of virions.