Rod-shaped, enveloped virion up to 400x100nm
Circular, dsDNA genome of 97-128 kb.
The genome encodes from 98 to 140 open reading frames .
- Virus attaches to host receptors, and is internalized by pinocytosis.
- Fusion of virus membrane with the vesicle membrane occurs; DNA genome is released into the nucleus.
- Transcription of viral genes, replication of the DNA genome in the nucleus.
- Cell nucleus enlarges and ruptures.
- Assembly of new virions in the cytoplasm.
- Virions bud from the cell membrane.