Non-enveloped, head-tail structure. The icosahedral head is about 60 nm, with a T=7 dextro symmetry , composed of 72 capsomers. The tail is contractile, about 135 x 18 nm, has 6 short kinked fibers.
Linear, dsDNA genome of about 34 kb, encoding for approximately 45 proteins. The genome has cohesive ends (cos sites).
Genes are transcribed by operons.
- Serine protease (Peptidase S73)
- Adsorption: the phage attaches to the target cell through its tail fibers.
- Ejection of the viral DNA into host cell cytoplasm by contraction of the tail sheath.
- Transcription and translation of early genes.
- Synthesis of linear concatemers copies of viral DNA by rolling circle. Transcription and translation of late genes.
- Assembly of an empty procapsid and packaging of the genome.
- Viral tail fibers assembly and viral tail assembly.
- Mature virions are released from the cell by lysis.