Monopartite, linear, ssRNA(+) genome about 3.5 kb in size. The 5' end is a triphosphate. Encodes 4 proteins.
The virion RNA is infectious and serves as both the genome and viral messenger RNA. Encodes for 4 ORFs. Cp protein repress replicase translation by binding a RNA hairpin at the start site of this gene.
- Adsorption to F pili of target cells induces cleavage and release of A maturation protein.
- Genomic RNA enters the bacterium.
- Viral proteins are translated.
- Viral replicase assembles with host proteins (ribosomal protein S1, translation elongation factors EF-Tu and EF-Ts) to form the active RNA polymerase.
- Replication of genomic RNA into a minus strand, which serves as template to produce new positive strand genomes.
- Late in infection CP protein bind to a RNA hairpin on the genome, and new virus particles are assembled in the cytoplasm.
- Release by cell lysis.