Non-enveloped, head-tail structure. The head is about 60 nm in diameter and consists of 72 capsomers (T=7, laevo).
Linear, dsDNA genome of about 48 kb, containing about 70 genes.
- Adsorption: The phage attaches to target cell adhesion receptors through its tail fibers.
- The baseplate of the virion attaches to the entry receptor.
- Ejection of the viral DNA into host cell cytoplasm by long flexible tail ejection system.
- Transcription and translation of early genes.
- Replication of genomic DNA by theta replication.
- Replication of genomic DNA by rolling circle.
- Transcription and translation of late genes.
- Assembly of empty procapsids and viral genome packaging.
- Mature virions are released from the cell by lysis.