Non-enveloped, head-tail structure. The head is about 81 nm in diameter. The tail is relatively rigid, about 355 nm in length and 10 nm in width and possesses 6 club-shaped terminal fibers. There is no collar.
Linear, dsDNA genome of about 134 kb, containing about 187 genes.
- Adsorption: The phage attaches to target cell adhesion receptors through its tail fibers.
- Viral exolysin degrades host cell wall locally.
- Ejection of the viral DNA into host cell cytoplasm by long flexible tail ejection system.
- Transcription and translation of early genes.
- Replication of genomic DNA.
- Transcription and translation of late genes
- Assembly of an empty procapsid and packaging of the genome.
- Viral tail fiber assembly and viral tail assembly.
- Mature virions are released from the cell by lysis.