Non-enveloped, head-tail structure. The capsid is about 108 nm in diameter and has a T=16 symmetry . The tails is contractile, about 140 nm in length, with brushy tail fibers.
Linear, dsDNA genome of about 145 kb, encoding for approximately 200 proteins.
Genes are transcribed by operons.
- Adsorption: the phage attaches to the target cell through its tail fibers.
- Ejection of the viral DNA into host cell cytoplasm by contraction of the tail sheath.
- Transcription and translation of early genes.
- Replication of genomic DNA. Transcription and translation of late genes.
- Assembly of an empty procapsid and packaging of the genome.
- Viral tail fibers assembly and viral tail assembly.
- Mature virions are released from the cell by lysis.